Wednesday, August 02, 2006

MySpace and the Famous

I was wandering around and discovered a lot of Famous People pages. Some were clearly marked Fan Page while others claimed (or didn't dispute) that they were a famous person. I know some of them are real but, most of them aren't. Personally, I don't understand why someone would put up a false page. Do they get some sort of profit? Why bother.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about the real pages and famous people. I looked at some of the comments left on their pages. Positive, negative, bits of conversations, icons and a few requests for advice or help. What could I write that would make this famous person want to respond to me? What do I have to say that this person hasn't heard before? What would make my comment stand out from all others. I guess because I don't have the answers to these questions, I haven't ever written a fan letter.

I don't have anything against fan letters or autographs. I have met a few of my fave authors and had them sign their books. (Ed McBain is one of my treasured) Would I like a signed DVD of The Sixth Sense? Yes! Would I like an autographed copy of the autobiography of Van Johnson? Yes! Would I write fan letters to these people? No. "I like you and think you are nifty". What more could I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment